With the first day of school around the corner, we wanted to remind all families that school success starts at home! Here are some important things that you can do to help your child get a head start when it comes to being ready to learn:
- Attend Back to School Events
- If your child is in TK through 8th Grade, be sure to attend your school’s Back to School Night event so that you can meet their teachers and show them to their classrooms. Back to School Night is scheduled for August 13, 2018 at 5:30 p.m. for both American Union and West Fresno schools.
- Set a Reasonable Bedtime and Get a Good Night’s Sleep
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children ages 6-12 get between 9 and 12 hours of sleep per night. They recommend that children ages 13-18 get between 8-11 hours of sleep per night. So turn on those devices and get some rest.
- Be On Time
- The first day of school is Tuesday, August 14, 2018.
- Set out clothes and school supplies the night before so that you are ready to leave for school the next morning.
- Set an alarm on your phone or clock to make sure you are up on time.
- Eat a Healthy Breakfast
- All WUSD school sites provide a free healthy breakfast for your child. If you plan to eat at home, skip the sugary drinks and eat a piece of fruit and some protein before you start your day.
- Encourage a “Growth Mindset”
- Make sure your child knows that school is a safe and fun place to learn. That means that sometimes your child will understand what they are learning and sometimes they will be challenged and school might feel hard. Let your child know that learning is supposed to be challenging and that it is OK not to know the right answers. Tell your child to ask for help if they need it! Make sure your child knows about all of the wonderful people at school to help them, like their teacher, their principal, and their counselors. Be sure to praise their efforts and hard work, even if they don’t get everything right the first time.
We are excited to see your child on August 14, 2018, the first day of school. If you have any questions about the first day of school, please contact your school office today! Our friendly staff are ready to help you with any questions or concerns.